Every journey – your first thought to call a therapist – begins with a single step...
When you need to talk to someone, when stress, anxiety, depression, personal, work or relationship problems move you to reach out,
I listen and help you find the best way forward.
Experienced, licensed psychotherapist, 40+ years in general psychotherapy practice in Berkeley and Vallejo, providing a safe place to talk, explore and resolve what is challenging and troubling.
I bring compassion, perceptiveness combined with patience and curiosity and many years of knowledge and skill to our collaboration to help you find effective solutions to make better life choices.
Specializing in psychotherapy for individuals, couple communication and intimacy problems, infidelity, gender and sexuality concerns; family, school or workplace relationship difficulties; child and teen challenges; repair for mother-daughter conflicts. My psychotherapy work is LGBTQIA affirming and includes clients from diverse cultural and ethnic backgrounds, non-conforming sexual and gender identities and all kinds of families.
Call to consult about personal and couple therapy, pre-commitment counseling; family therapy and help with parenting skills; separation and divorce; loss, grieving; regrets and disappointments; life transitions; sexual abuse, trauma and PTSD; shame, self-doubt; effects of addictions and co-dependency on self-esteem and family life; and help for patients and family members managing bi-polar depression, hospitalizations, anxiety and eating disorders.
My patients are always my best teachers. Our work together is a vibrant gift that continually enriches and deepens my understanding and appreciation of our shared humanity.
Each person requires a specific therapeutic relationship that fits your unique needs and comfort level. My approach is compassionate, pragmatic and collaborative, listening empathically to learn from you what works best. Together we create a safe, confidential, nonjudgmental place, while exploring your initial worries and any deeper concerns.
Proceeding at your pace, we explore your thoughts and feelings about what is going well and what is not. We listen to longings, disappointments, dreams, ever mindful of obstacles and interference from self-defeating habits, behaviors, attitudes both in the here and now and from past and present relationships. This opens the door for making better choices, having confidence, acceptance and balance in your life.
- Past-President of the Association of Family Therapists (1986-88); (2019 to present)
- Childhood Matters (KISS-FM radio): Guest presenter to radio audience about parenting, child abuse, and sexual trauma.
- Presenter to professional and community groups about Parenting, Child Abuse, Sexual Trauma; Couple Communication; Civorce, Step and Shared Parenting.
- Sexual Abuse Survivors Group; Anger & Assertiveness Women’s Group
Graduate degrees & Professional licensure:
- MSW, 1975 :: Masters degree in Clinical Social Work from the University of Michigan
- MA, 1978 :: Masters degree in Clinical Psychology from the University of San Francisco
- LCSW 7158 - 1979 Clinical Social Work California license in good standing